Conditions for getting married abroad

If you wish to get married abroad, some countries require documentation that you meet the conditions for marriage pursuant to Danish law. Other countries only require that you can document your marital status with a certificate of no impediment.

If the country where you wish to get married requires a certificate documenting that you would be able to get married pursuant to Danish rules in the Marriage Act, you must apply for a marriage certificate.

To obtain a marriage certificate, you must both meet the conditions in the Marriage Act. This also applies even if one or both of you live abroad.

If you are uncertain of what you require, you can read more here

Prohibition against proforma marriage (marriage of convenience)

In Denmark, proforma marriage is prohibited. This means that the marriage must not be entered into if there is reason to suspect that the purpose of the marriage is to obtain the right of residence in Denmark, an EU country, in Switzerland or in another country covered by the European Economic Area.

Read more about the prohibition against proforma marriage here

General conditions for marriage

To get married in Denmark, you must both have turned 18 years of age and you must both be unmarried.

If one of you has previously been married, the previous marriage must have been dissolved before you can remarry.

Marriage between close relatives is not permitted, and if one of you is under guardianship, the guardian must consent to the marriage.

Read more about the general conditions here.

Legal residence

In principle, it is a condition to be able to get married in Denmark that you can both legally enter Denmark and stay here.

However, this condition can be waived if both or one of you do/does not live or reside in Denmark when you apply for a marriage certificate in order to get married abroad.

Special requirements for passports or other travel documentation

When entering Denmark and staying in the country, you must hold a valid passport or another approved form of travel documentation.

Requirements for your passport when entering Denmark

  • Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond your stay.
  • Your passport must contain at least 2 empty pages.
  • Your passport must have been issued within the last 10 years. A passport with a validity period exceeding 10 years cannot be used as travel documentation in Denmark beyond the first 10 years from the date the passport was issued. This also applies if the expiry date of your passport has been extended beyond a validity period of 10 years from the date it was issued.

If your passport has a shorter validity period than the possible validity period of the certificate of marital status, the certificate’s validity period will be shortened. This means that the validity period of the certificate of marital status will be shorter than what it would ordinarily be.

For example, if the validity period of a certificate of marital status would ordinarily be 4 months, but the passport only has a validity period of 5 months at the time of the issuance of the certificate, the validity period of the certificate would be limited to 2 months.

Preparations for your application

In order for us to process your application and verify that you meet the conditions for marriage, we will request personal information about you and your partner. We will also request that you document that the conditions for marriage are met.

What documents we will request and the requirements for these documents depends on the answers you provide in the application, and what country has issued the documents.

If you are unable to enclose one or more of the documents we request, you should write this in the application form. It is important that you write why you are unable to enclose what we have requested.

Your signatur on the application must be signed by hand in order to be considered a valid signature. Therefore digital signatures cannot be used, for example Adobe or paint.

The requirement for your signature does not apply if you both have NemID

Read more about what information and documents we recommend you have prepared before beginning to complete the application formnotice of marriage (Ægteskabserklæringen, english version)

Requirements for documents and the translation

In order for us to recognise the document, there may be special requirements for the documents you are to enclose in your application. This may include that the document should be recognised by an official authority – either with an apostille stamp or by way of legalization.

Foreign documents must be translated to Danish, English or German by a certified translator. This also applies to any apostille stamp. If the document has been legalised, all stamps etc. must also be translated.

Please be aware that this must be completed before the application is submitted to the Agency of Family Law (Familieretshuset).

Read more about the requirements for approval of foreign documents

Declarations and pamphlets

If only one of you is a Danish/Nordic citizen or has a permanent residence permit pursuant to the Danish Aliens Act Sections 7-9(f), or 9(i)-9(n), and the other does not, you must not get married in Denmark without both parties having provided a declaration concerning knowledge of the rules on family reunification.

You must both sign an 11b declaration.

This, however, does not apply to citizens of a EU country.

You should also read the pamphlet “Når I skal giftes - husk økonomien” (When you are getting married - remember your finances) about the effect of marriage on spouses’ shared financial circumstances

Read more about the declaration concerning knowledge of the rules on family reunification and find the 11b declaration and pamphlet here.

Power of attorney

If you want a third party to assist you with the submission of a notice of marriage, you can grant power of attorney in writing. This may be someone from your family or a professional.

You must send the power of attorney with both your original signatures to us. For instance, you can send the power of attorney to us in a letter or attach it in the digital self-service solution. You can also grant power of attorney to a third party, while the case is being processed.

If you have granted power of attorney, and want to withdraw the power of attorney, you must give written notice to both us and the person to whom you have granted power of attorney.

Read more about power of attorney.

How to apply

When you wish to get married, you must send an application – a notice of marriage – to the Agency of Family Law and pay a fee of DKK 1650.

If the conditions are met, we will issue a certificate of marital status or marriage certificate depending on whether you want the marriage to be performed in Denmark or abroad.

A certificate of marital status/marriage certificate is valid for 4 months from the date of issuance.

If you are not married within this time period, the certificate is no longer valid and you must re-apply. When re-applying, you must re-submit all the documents and pay a new fee of DKK 1650.

Read more about payment of fees and how to apply