The Agency of Family Law

Frequently asked questions and answers from The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark, Danish National Police etc. regarding travelling to or from Denmark.

If you are travelling to or from Denmark

Special Notice Regarding Certificates of Marital Status (prøvelsesattester)

Unfortunately, we do not have the option of extending a certificate of marital status beyond the stated validity period.

However, when issuing a certificate of marital status in the current situation, we will inform you, that you may have the opportunity to have a new certificate issued due to COVID-19. If, when issuing a certificate of marital status, we find that the validity of the certificate will be two months or less we will contact you.

A New Certificate Can Be Issued Without a New Administration Fee

Your application can be reopened if your certificate has expired without your having been able to get married within the validity period of the certificate due to the entry restrictions in Denmark, or other restrictions in Denmark, as a result of COVID-19. When or if your certificate has expired, please contact the Agency of Family Law.

In these situations you will be issued a new certificate without paying a new administration fee.

Please note that the certificate can only be renewed when it has expired.

In the current situation we recommend that you stay up-to-date on possible travel restrictions in Denmark and/or your country of residence as well as any other special restrictions in Denmark, including the closure of public offices in relation to COVID-19.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

All Cancelled Appointments Will Be Rescheduled

The Agency of Family Law will ensure that citizens whose meetings have been canceled will be given the first available appointment once we reopen for meetings.

The Agency of Family Law follows the ongoing recommendations of the Danish government and health authorities, which is why we cannot currently say when we will be open for meetings again.